Window Restoration Workshop

Carthage Historic Preservation, Inc. has received grant funding to bring Bob Yapp of PBS fame from Hannibal, MO. to lead a workshop in restoring windows in historic houses. This workshop will be held at the oldest house in Carthage--the Sweet House, built in 1868.  This hands-on, real-time workshop will benefit both this historic structure and the preservation community.  The original windows of the Sweet House, made with pins rather than ropes & pulleys and with hand-made glass, with proper restoration, will last another 150 years.  Even more important, workshop participants become a resource for Carthage and surrounding communities in preserving or restoring windows in an historically and ecologically appropriate manner. This is a hands-on, learn-by-doing workshop. Participants will learn the complete restoration and weatherization skills needed to make old and historic windows as or more energy efficient than a disposable replacement window.

We have scheduled this workshop on September 2, 3, and 4 (8 am to 5 pm daily).  Although these dates are part of the Labor Day weekend, that Monday would still be free for the holiday.  You will be fed very well through the 3 days.  Usually there is a significant fee for these workshops, but CHP has donors who will cover those costs for this workshop for 12 participants only. Free enrollments will be awarded to only the first 12 people who respond by phone to:   Judy Goff 417-358-8875.
Don’t delay!

.......................................................................................................................................................
Carthage is a very interesting town in Southwest Missouri,  with 3 historic districts containing over 600 properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Carthage was founded in the 1840s but the Civil War Battle of Carthage in 1861 resulted in fire and its total destruction. Much of the town was rebuilt during the lead and zinc mining boom of the 1880s and 1890s. The corner stone of the present Carthage Court House, the most photographed building  in Missouri,  was laid in 1894.   Carthage Historic Preservation (CHP) was incorporated in 1979.  Our Battle today is for preservation….to protect and preserve the wonderful architecture we were given when Carthage was rebuilt.   Carthage Historic Preservation, Inc. (CHP) is a non-profit, community-based membership organization dedicated to education about and advocacy for historic preservation in Carthage, Missouri.  It is also committed to reminding Carthage citizens of the economic development implicit in heritage tourism such as that drawn by its historic neighborhoods, the Route 66 corridor, and its Civil War sites.  CHP owns the 1895 Historic Phelps House and uses it both as an educational tool, depicting life for all classes of people in the 1890s, and as a demonstration site for historically-appropriate techniques and technologies for preserving and restoring historic structures.  It also serves the community as a below-market rate site for  meetings, parties, celebrations, and weddings. Recently CHP acquired what is believed to be the oldest stand alone house in Carthage...the 1868 Sweet House.  It will be restored.

Event Type: 
Share This Event: